Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I know...I've been bad.

Okay, so I know…it’s been long overdue and there is so much to say. Let’s see if I can pull this off. I have been in Moldova now for 2 months and 2 weeks. The first 10 weeks were for training. I lived in a beautiful village named Razeni and lived with a host family that consisted of a host mom, dad, brother, sister, her husband, and their 2 year old daughter. Every day was a busy one, my schedule as a “trainee” was as follows: leave the house at 8am to get to school by 8:30am, Romanian class til 1pm, lunch from 1-2pm, then tech sessions about teaching English from 2-5pm. After class I would try to use the internet at school or just hang out with the other trainees, and then head back home around 6ish. I would usually have dinner around 7 or 8 with my host family and do my Romanian homework afterwards and crash by 9 or 10. These days were exhausting. I felt really bad since I felt like I was always at school and never spending time with my host family. We even had language classes on Saturday mornings but were free the rest of the afternoon and on Sunday of course.

On August 18th, I left Razeni and headed to Chisinau for my swearing in as an official Peace Corps volunteer. Very exciting! I’m official now. After the ceremony, which was very cool, (our oath is the same as the president of the United State), I went home with the director from the school that I will be working at in Varzaresti, (my new village where I will be living for 2 years). Once I got to my new home, I was surprised to find out that we had family visiting from Siberia. How crazy is that? Siberia. We had a full house for my first 4 days, but on Sunday, after our visitors left, I was able to unpack my luggage and get settled into my room. We also installed a bookshelf and a mirror and now my room feels like mine.

I have been going to my school in the mornings but haven’t been able to do any planning thus far. P.S. My house is only a short 5-7 minute walk away from the front entrance of the school. My school is undergoing last minute repairs and my classroom now has brand new windows and lovely wallpaper that was put up by students. Our floors are being painted and hopefully on Friday we will be able to move in all the desks and start planning for the year.

Nisporeni is a larger village next mine and there is a bank there and some other stores that will come in handy. I already bought some bed sheets, an electric tea kettle to help me in the boiling and filtering process of my drinking water, some hangers for my beautiful new wardrobe/closet, a trash can for my room and some little plastic containers to take lunch to school in. I am not sure what everyone else is buying with their “resettlement allowance” but that is what I needed so far. The other day I walked to Nisporeni with Ohad, another volunteer with Peace Corps, and we made a big circle from my house, to his work, to his house and then back to my house. My host dad said it was 10km, which is like 6 miles or so I think. I am still getting used to the metric system. So that has been my life for the past 2 months and some change...I promise to try to kep this updated on a regular basis from here on out. Girl Scout honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment