Wednesday, February 15, 2012

October-January.

So I guess I have been hibernating since winter is in full force over here in Moldova. Let me recap the past 4 months:

October:

We held a Halloween dance at school. The priest got upset because he believes Halloween is of the Devil. He showed up to the dance but did not witness any sacrifices or pagan worship.

November:

It really started getting cold in November, and when my partner teacher Sveta invited me for a BBQ in the woods, I almost said no. I didn't want to spend the day in the cold woods when I could stay at home, in bed with my Turkish boyfriend, aka, my electric bed warmer from Turkey. Well, I decided to go and I am glad that I did. It was one of the best days I have had here in Moldova. I met a lot of fun people, ate some great food and drank some hot wine.

December:

I spent Christmas Eve in my friend's village since it is her birthday too. She made handmade decorations for us which were super cute. We then took a vacation to Romania. We went to Bucharest for a few days, and then headed to Brasov then Bran. Brasov was a super cute town, we spent New Years Eve there and then headed to Bran the next day to see Bran Castle, also known as Dracula's Castle. Romania was great. It was nice being able to know the language and they have movies in English there, which was a nice treat. (In Moldova, all the movies are in Russian w/Romanian subtitles).

January:

It was hard going back to school after winter break, as I am sure it was for the students as well. It didn't start snowing until January here in Moldova, which was nice. Last year it started to snow in the beginning of December. I have been using my Yak Traks everyday to try to avoid falling but somehow have managed to fall three times already. I really dislike ice, and January was full of it. There wasn't a ton of snow, it would snow one day, then melt a little bit, then freeze and continue to be freezing cold for a week. The wind was really bad and made for a horrible walk to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment